Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Route Perspective

When it comes to directions, my husband says that there are two types of people in this world: 1) the people who give specific directions according to interstate exit numbers, street names, and physical addresses or 2) the people (like me) who give general directions according to points of interest or landmarks.  He is actually correct in his observation.  The first basic way to give directions is called the survey perspective and is characterized by cardinal directions (north, south, east and west), street signs, exit numbers and names, traffic lights, and mileage distance. The second basic way is called the route perspective and is characterized by landmarks. For example, I would explain the route to my library from the interstate exit in this manner: Turn by McDonald's, pass the big tower on the left, then turn right at the Church of God.  When you get to this sharp curve, start looking for the bank and the post office. The library is located right next to the bank.  My husband would explain the route in a very different way: Turn right onto Highway 13, go three miles, and take a right on Highway 481. Once you drive an additional two miles, take a right on Fourth Avenue, and the library is located directly on the corner of the intersection.

As I was creating this post in my head, I had such an epiphany ~ an A-ha moment! These two groups are really the two types of people in this world!  Group A ~ the survey perspective ~ get from Point A to Point B. Their world is a giant grid, and their ability to navigate this grid is primary.  Group B ~ the route perspective ~ don't miss anything along the way.  Their world consists of points of interest, and their ability to become familiar with every single landmark is primary.

What I am about to share is absolutely true.  My husband and I were driving to my mom's house ~ a route we travel on a weekly basis, at least.  I mentioned to him that I was writing a post about these two beautiful rose bushes that had been planted in front of a dilapidated house, which happens to be located on the road to mom's.  I was telling him about the lesson I had learned from those two rose bushes over the past year.  Then I pointed out the house (and the rose bushes) to my husband as we passed by.  He said, "I have never even noticed that house."

WHAT!?!  How do you travel the same highway three or four times a week and not take notice of the route or more especially those glorious rose bushes?  I notice EVERYTHING!  I have route perspective to the power of ten!  I notice when someone keeps their large white dog in small cyclone fence all day...in the hot Mississippi sun!  I notice the change of clothes on the scarecrow every season at this small roadside garden spot.  I never miss a single garage sale sign, and I never miss birthday balloons tied to a mailbox.

Survey people, on the other hand, know how to navigate.  They know the shortest distances, and the best roads to travel, and how much time it will take to get from Point A to Point B.  I am sure they have unmatched navigational skills, which provide minimal turns, detailed directions, and a well-defined destination. My husband belongs to this life group. For him, life is all about navigating the grid ~ having a steady income, saving for retirement, paying for college, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and doing all of the above in the most timely manner possible.

For me, life is all about the route!  I just want to take the long way around in everything I do!  I would rather miss a right (correct) turn than to miss a point of interest!  I can't even understand the concept of a grid! I know that the people around me recognize me as a route person ~ especially the survey people.  The other day I was walking out of the library with a co-worker who is retiring this year after thirty years of employment. She is a master at navigating the grid, and her post-retirement destination is well-defined.  As we talked about my future plans at the library, she asked me how old I was.  I told her my age, and she made a statement that has stuck with me all week. "Well, you have no possibility of a real retirement, so it doesn't matter what you do at this point," she flatly stated.

I had just completely fallen off the grid.  According to her, I had arrived at a navigational term known as a drop dead point. A drop dead point is a specific place (a landmark, an intersection, a dead end) that tells the person that they have gone too far; they have missed their turn.  For example, if you come to the four-way stop, you have gone too far. In her mind, I had gone too far. I had missed my turn. I had not understood how the grid was supposed to work. I had reached the drop dead point. (I am trying to be serious, so don't laugh.)

Therefore, with no clear destination in sight, I guess I'll just enjoy the journey! I think that it is absolutely impossible for people with a true route perspective to ever travel this life any other way.  So...I might not get there before you do. I might never arrive at all, but I can certainly give you some great directions to two glorious rose bushes!

Dianne ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment