Monday, July 1, 2013

New Post - Postponed!

Only one post last month, but this one will make up for lost time!

On Saturday, May 25th, my husband, my son, and I went to a Memorial Day cookout at my daughter's home.  Katie's boyfriend, Brandon, grills the absolute best ribs that I have ever eaten, and coming from a Southerner, that's a mouthful!  I was assigned to bring two dishes to the cookout: spicy coleslaw and homemade ice cream.  My husband had just bought two large boxes of fresh Louisiana strawberries, so I pre-mixed all the ingredients for the ice cream before we left our house. As we wheeled the cooler of spicy coleslaw, strawberry ice cream mixture, and ice along the brick walkway that leads to the front door of Katie's house, the cooler tipped over.  The top popped off the mixture of homemade ice cream, and the sticky, sweet, strawberry liquid spilled onto the bricks. It was not a pretty site.

Not to be denied homemade ice cream, Brandon sent Katie to the grocery store for sweetened condensed milk, vanilla flavoring, and a bag of sugar.  What happened next is part one of this postponed post.  Once Katie drove out of the driveway, Brandon said, "Well, y'all, I think that spill was meant to happen."

He continued, "Mr. David, I need to do something today, because the next time I see you ~ probably on Father's Day ~ Katie is going to have a big surprise.  I want to ask you for Katie's hand in marriage."

Then Brandon turned towards Matt and me. "I guess I am asking for your family's blessing...if y'all will have me."

David responded, "How soon can you take her?" in his usual prankster fashion.  But then he said, "In all seriousness, I think you both are going to make each other very happy."

Brandon advised us that Katie knew nothing.  He said that he had been planning the details for months, and that we would hear all about it soon enough.  But for the meantime...total secrecy!

So...on Thursday, June 6th, at 7:07 p.m., I received a text:  Hey, this is Brandon. Hopefully at some point Katie will say YES!!! this weekend when I ask her the big question in New Orleans!!! Please don't say a word to her about it...Everything is a BIG surprise!!! Hope she loves it!!!  Then he sent me this photo:
OMG!!! I replied. So excited for both of you! Don't worry ~ my lips are sealed! I want every single minute to be a complete surprise! The ring is gorgeous! You are going to make her so happy!

About 7:30 p.m., Katie called me and said that Brandon was taking her somewhere over the weekend and that she had no idea what was happening. I was pretty sure she knew WHAT was happening; she just didn't know how or when or where. Still I said nothing.

She sent me her first text on Friday, June 7th at 8:09 a.m. (I just love documented phone texts!) Getting around this morning...drinking my coffee. I'm excited! Brandon gave me a clue! He said the name of my K-Cup coffee is a hint. It's Emeril's Coffee!

Her next text was received at 11:29 a.m. We have to be going to NEW ORLEANS, we just have to! I'm getting happy, happy, happy!

Then at 2:56 p.m., I received another update. We are staying at the Bourbon Orleans Hotel! OMG! We are right on Bourbon Street! Mom, this is insane!

I have never known third-party excitement like I experienced for the next 48 hours.  I have watched great movies with happy endings, witnessed my fair share of unexpected homecomings and celebrity giveaways, and written hundreds of stories about embracing the best of today.  Nothing prepared me for all the joy that was coming my way, which brings me to part two of my postponed post.

Carriage Ride in the French Quarter ~ Friday, 7:13 p.m.
Beignets at the Cafe Du Monde ~ 9:25 p.m.
Steamboat Ride on the Natchez ~ Saturday, 12:55 p.m.
Me and Padma from Top Chef at the Creole Tomato Festival! ~ 3:57 p.m.
I'm shaking! I mean can this day get any better?
I'm ENGAGED!!!!! He proposed in Jackson Square! ~ 4:33 p.m.
OMG! Some people saw Brandon proposing and took this picture! 
This is where he proposed!
 
 IT'S PERFECT!
This one's mine!
I'm spoken for!
I am so excited I can't go to sleep!

Since that eventful weekend, my days and nights have been filled with texts and telephone conversations about wedding ideas ~ save the date pictures, groomsman and bridesmaid announcements, venue contracts, and secret Pinterest boards! Life as I knew it ~ pre-engagement ~ has been postponed.  Even though I am familiar with the definition of postpone, I wanted to look it up for the sake of this post.  Webster defines postpone as to place later in order of precedence, preference, or importance ~ to defer; to submit humbly to another's wishes; to put on hold in service to another. So, from now until April 26, 2014, any future posts on The Tomorrow Trunk are subject to be postponed!


Dianne ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment