Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Everybody Needs a Miracle

Mellie is no longer my foster dog. One of the kennel dogs was recently adopted which left an opening for Mellie. In order for Mellie to be adopted, I knew that she had to be in a central location where she could be viewed. Despite knowing this, her departure was bittersweet. I started crying the minute I finished the call. A thousand questions began to swirl through my head...How would she be treated? Would she be exposed to the elements - hot sun, rain, etc.? How big or small were the kennels? Would they be clean and sanitary?

For six months, Mellie has slept on a down comforter on our carport. She has been watered, fed and cleaned like a child. She has been treated for every preventable canine condition, including fleas, heartworms and skin allergies. As a foster parent, I felt I had been mindful of her every need...except one.

That one need became more and more evident. Mellie was almost perfect. She had only one flaw - she dug craters (not mere holes) in my yard and flower bed. I used red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, repellent spray and every other internet remedy available, but nothing deterred her. On the days when everyone was home and we played with her, she did not dig; however, on those days when she was left alone for even a few hours, we would return to massive excavations! She even dug a tunnel underneath our concrete driveway where she could fit her entire body!

When I was inside, she wanted to be inside. When I was outside, she wanted to play. And when I ignored her efforts to be with me, she dug. She clawed and scratched and burrowed and tunneled until her nose looked like a dirt-covered garden spade.

Still, we had formed a familial bond. I loved her and she loved me. The trip to the kennel was quiet - for both of us. When we arrived, I found out that Mellie's kennel mate would be another female dog named Miracle. Both dogs were fixed, vaccinated and ready for adoption. All the kennels were clean and organized, and all the dogs seemed well-adjusted and happy. Each kennel was home to two dogs, and each dog had an individual dog house in which to sleep.

Of course, I remained concerned about her adjustment to such strange surroundings. The following morning, I received this text from the kennel manager: Just wanted you to know that Mellie and Miracle are the best of "Pen Pals" now! The played for hours last night and are back at it this morning. NO FIGHTS! All is Well! :)))

The next text I received read: Mellie likes kibble and she loves Miracle! I asked if kibble was food and told her how glad I was that Mellie had a sweet friend. She responded that kibble was dry dog food (which Mellie had never eaten), and that Mellie "gobbles it up!" Then she ended her text with this comment: BTW Mellie likes being a dog! LOL!

I replied: I am so glad that Mel is happy. She hated being a human. Then she sent me an A-ha text lesson: Yeah, I think those craters were a clue. No craters here!

WOW! Everybody needs a Miracle. We just dig and scratch and claw our way through life, and all we are looking for is our very own Miracle. Mellie needed a companion. Mellie wanted someone like herself - someone who wanted to do the things that she wanted to do. She didn't want a down comforter or canned food or a comfortable carport. She didn't want a clean house, beautiful flower beds or a manicured lawn. She just wanted to be with somebody who wanted to be with her. All it took to meet Mellie's most fundamental need was just one Miracle.

So now, as I fill all those deep holes left in my yard, I am sad to think about the frustration and isolation they represented. Everybody needs a Miracle! Like Mellie, I found mine. All I can hope is that my adult children find their Miracle, so when I am concerned about how they are doing, they can reply...

No craters here!

Dianne ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment