Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pole Dog

One of my favorite books is Pole Dog written by Tres Seymour and illustrated by David Soman.  The book tells the story of an old dog who is no longer wanted by his owner and is abandoned near a telephone pole on the side of the road.  I guess the reason I love the story is because it is somewhat of a fairy tale.  The family in the book ~ a father, a mother, a son and a daughter ~ see pole dog stranded for days, pick him up and take him home.  The illustrator captures the absolute delight on the dog's face when they stop and call out, "Here, dog!"

The story ends, "Hug dog, hold dog.  Good old dog!"  However, on the final page, the author writes, "Few dogs are as lucky as Pole Dog. Hundreds of dogs and cats are left on the roadside each day by people who don't want them or can't care for them."  By the way, the book is dedicated by the author ~ To my mother, who named him.

TODAY'S BIG STORY:  My pole dog's name is Jack.  His story is different from the old dog in the book, but it has no less of a happy ending. Jack's owners moved into an abandoned building across the road from my house. Within a few days of the new neighbor's arrival, I first saw Jack.  He was chained to a utility pole with a heavy eight-foot iron chain.  The pole was located near the entrance of the driveway...no shade, no protection from the elements, no place to potty except where he slept and ate.  Because the pole was located so close to the highway that separated our properties, I had to witness his misery every time I pulled in and out of my driveway.

His owner fed him every day (thankfully), which was the only time anyone ever walked out to his pole.  He ate his food from a hubcap and drank water from a hydraulic fuel bucket.  He had a belt fastened around his neck, which was attached to the chain.  Most days, he just lay by the pole and barked at the cars and trucks that came within feet of his eight-foot existence.  Only one mammal in our neighborhood was more miserable than Jack ~ me.

One night, I was awakened by Jack's howling and barking. Then I heard claps of thunder and pouring rain.  I thought, oh my God, that poor pole dog is exposed to all this stormy weather.  I looked out my window, and there he sat crying for help.  I checked the time, which was about three o'clock in the morning.  I lay in my bed for another hour and listened to his relentless pleas.  Then, at 4:30 a.m., I said, "Forget this!"  That isn't exactly what I said, but it is what I can write on paper.  I put on my boots and a heavy raincoat.  I walked down my driveway in the thunder and lightning, pouring rain and gusting wind.  I crossed that highway, and I took Jack off that chain.  He and I crossed the highway together, and Jack said goodbye to that eight-foot mud hole and twenty-foot light pole forever!
At first, I put him in the shed behind our house until the storm passed.  Then I went to the store and bought him dog food, two stainless steel bowls, treats and a beautiful blue collar.  When the sun finally came out, I cleaned him up and introduced him to Riley (my other adopted stray).  I don't have a fenced-yard, so I knew that I had to find Jack a permanent home; but for now, this was home.  Two days later, his owner came over to ask about Jack.  I told her that I had rescued him from the terrible storm, and I wanted to keep him.  She said that they really could not afford to feed him and that he would be happier with a big yard for play and a nice shed for shelter.  And that was it...the worst was over. Hug dog, hold dog.  No more pole dog.
 
My parents offered to take Jack as their permanent dog. Now, he sleeps on a nice blanket on their front porch.  During the day, Jack follows my dad everywhere.  He plays with Sport (their other dog) and cuts hay with the neighbor.  At night, Jack keeps critters out of the garden.  He is a beautiful country dog who runs free and loves his home.  Few dogs are as lucky as...Jack.
The author of Pole Dog gives this advice:  If you see a dog or cat that has been abandoned, call the Humane Society or the animal shelter in your area.  Their numbers are in the telephone book.

Dianne ; ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment