Sunday, October 24, 2010

Love Fest!

Whenever you realize that your favorite picture is an object of synergy, you gain an unbelievable power over what seems boring or mundane. I now understand so clearly that beauty is in the EYE of the beholder. Every week I look at loads of photography blogs, and I see lots of beautiful pictures. Weddings, dogs, sunsets, smiles. Some of the photos are of such unbelievable quality that they seem like works of art. The beauty is not necessarily in the object, but in the photographer's ability to see from that unique "eye" within - that perspective or viewpoint. As crazy as it sounds, this synergy between photographer and picture is almost like a love fest!

One of my favorite pastimes is looking at photo slideshows while listening to my favorite music playlists. Sometimes it seems like an almost serendipitous perfection when a picture falls right in sync with an appropriate song or lyric. In that moment, a random picture takes on a whole new quality of wonder. You are no longer just looking at an image taken from the lens of a camera, you are looking into a moment of significance. I have so many favorite folders, but at the top of my list is Father's Day of this past year. The folder contains a bunch of country pictures - rural settings, worms, dads, grandpas, cousins, babies, gardens, dogs - but it's a total love fest for me!

I am very seldom with every member of my family at the same time. My husband travels all over the South, and I am constantly on the road from one "home" to another. But, I do have a beloved community - all around me, all the time. Eastern tradition calls it a sangha. It's how we find home outside of home, and how we find sanctuary in exile. My beloved community exists within words and pictures, and fortunately for me, I am the beholder.

My beloved community!


What a love fest!

Dianne ; )


No comments:

Post a Comment